Tuesday 2 December 2014

Things for ENTP types to do when bored in a lecture.






There are two times you will find me yawning and looking zoned out. The first is when I'm tired and the other when I'm bored. Usually its the latter.
Boredom is something I seem to experience very very often. Most things seem too 'Normal' and bore me. I need the new, the  complex and the challenging for my mind to be engaged.

                                                                              * * * 

    According to Mbti typology I type as an Entp
   Entp and Enfp types have Ne (extroverted intuition) as their dominant function. Ne is a free flowing, creative function which seeks possibilities; the new and exciting. Entp and Enfp types make good conversationalists partly due to this Ne function. It also means both Entp and Enfp types tend to have tonnes to talk about as the activities and topics they involve their selves in are not limited in any way. Everything is interesting. Everything 'may' come in use one day. Everything is 'worth' checking out. It explains why both Entp and Enfp types are ever so curious and also never seem to run out of things to talk about.

                                                                            * * *

  However, every strength has a down side.

    Ne is focused so strongly on change and the future that it struggles  with staying in the moment.
It is restless. It hates being at a standstill.
For this reason  Entp and Enfp types are likely to be hyperactive. Many are easily diagnosed with ADHD. Usually it's simply boredom.

                                                                      * * *

Here I have compiled a mini list of things I do when I am bored (During a lecture or meeting - When it is way too rude to just walk out.)

Don't forget to comment with the things you do. Especially if you are an Entp or Enfp.

• Create a To Do list. I prefer writing my lists however, a good app is Any do. Evernote is another one  great for  lists and brainstorming. You are able to attach images, documents, links, maps and much more. Use it for your journal writing or your projects.



•Brain storm ideas for projects. (It's what Ne is awesome at.)

•Have a peak in my Pocket app where I enjoy saving articles that I don't have enough time to read. It comes in handy when I am bored.
Read a Psychologies, Fortune or Scientific American Mind magazine. (Basically any magazine apart from Vogue unless I'm very bored.) I recently picked up a True Crime magazine. It turned out an 'OK' read. (If anyone knows of a brilliant crime magazine -preferably covering the psych of murderers- let me know. I find serial killers so fascinating.)

•Search apps for productivity and memory. A favourite is Wunderlist. I love how you can create categories and then add things to do, If you are an Entp you will think of bazillion things that need doing and then your introverted thinking will kick in which wants to categorise everything. That's why Wunderlist is very handy. 
 Many Entp and Enfp types struggle with concentration. Lumosity is a great website where you can play games to improve memory and concentration. As an added bonus you can create an account and save your progress.

•Learn a language. (Spanish at the moment as I plan on visiting in a few months!)
A good app is Duolingo.



• Listen to a talk on Ted.
 Here are my favourite ones:
Brene' Brown's talk on vulnerability is very powerful and a must listen. Click here.
Fond of spoken word and some optimism? You will love Sara Kay. Here's the link to her talk 'If I should have a daughter'.


•Go crazy and enroll on way too many paid for and free online courses. Currently I am doing 5 paid for online courses and 5 free mini courses on Edx. (Ranging from Chinese Thought  to Neuroscience.)
Edx is a fantastic website so check it out. Just keep the Ne in check!

• Read controversial topics and look into arguments of both sides whether its capital punishment or  abortion.

•Purchase or then add books to my Amazon wish list. A recent addition is Toxic Childhood by Sue Palmer.

• Blog. This is a new thing so let's see how long it lasts. Apparently, I should be getting bored eventually. 





                Till next time!

                Haleema
                Xxx

4 comments:

  1. Entp-t here. In a medical college where I am not able to cope up with the way things are taught. I love the subjects, but the practice of rote learning and exam passing doesn't sit well with me, thus spending a lot of time clearing my concepts and mechanisms. I often end up either failing or scoring the lowest in the batch. I have started bunking and doing things not advisable for a 21 year old. I'm really depressed. Can you help a fellow entp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://entprandomness.blogspot.com/2014/12/boredom-is-something-i-seem-to.html

      Delete
    2. Part 1 : Hey. I'm an entp-t too and I get you. I absolutely love the subjects i study but getting the highest grades or even passing them is the least of my concern. What i truly wish to achieve is my understanding of the subject. and if I have that in check, i believe i've done well. unfortunately, our education systems dont work this way. and i'd love to change it but until then, we've got to work with it :)
      heres my suggestion.
      You stated you've started bunking and doing things not advisable for a 21 yr old... well it shows ur slowly falling out of love for your subjects. First of all, stop everything you think you shouldnt be doing. 2nd re-realise why you took up medical in the first place! ENTP's are really passionate about what they love and youve got to get that passion back! 3rd, forget about passing for a while. Just focus on understanding the subject, ask questions, read up articles on the topics that interest you most! Go the extra mile! Dont let just ur grades depress you into not loving what you are so passionate about!
      ones youve got these in check, start prepping for exams. ENTP's tend to lose focus really fast as we are easily distracted. But if we set our mind to something, theres nothing stopping us from getting what we want. so figure out what times you like to study best (morning, evening, or night?). as every other human on earth, i used to sleep at night, school in the moring, study in the afternoon and repeat. but this never worked out for me and soon i realised im a study at night, school in the morning and sleep through the afternoon kinda person. thats how my clock ticks, anyway. So find your perfect study timing and stick with it.
      Dont make a time table. we ENTPs never tend to follow them anyways (unless youre good at it). Instead tell yourself, "Youre going to study for 5 hours staright, with one break in between of 10 minutes and have to be done with 2 - 2.5 chapters by then." ofcourse edit no. of hrs and chapters completed based on your capability.
      Dont take too many breaks, youll get distracted. i know 5 hrs of learning at a stretch sounds like a lot, but once you get the flow of the chapters your studying, you'll probably not want to stop.
      Quit rope learning if its not working for you, never has for me. Anything repetitive is hated by ENTPs :)

      Delete
    3. Part 2: Heres how i score good marks:
      1. focus in class. VERY IMP! Ask questions, take down notes. mark what the professor says as important. if u feel like your getting bored, excuse yourself, go for a quick run around campus, drink a glass of water and get back in ur seat. Dont make excuses for not focusing in class.
      2. refer to the notes when studying. since youve written them down, it will bring back ur memory of when the professor taught it in class, making learning easier. focus on imp points.
      3. instead of rote learning, find a method that works for you. there are so many.
      If you think ur a listener, rather than a speaker and prefer being taught rather than teaching someone else. try study groups. My 2 friend do study groups and it works for them. One learns by teaching, the other by listening.
      Personally, i like studying alone or else i get distracted.
      when i have plenty of time, I imagine theres an imaginary class in front of me and start teaching them.
      when I have less time, i give the imagination a rest, read and reread the topic a few times untill i understand what im reading. never BLINDLY MEMORISE anything. if you dont get it, text a nerd or google. but understand. once u feel like you understood the topic, say it out loud in your own words. You dont have to copy paste anything. just understand and write in your own words. BUT use the technical terms. thats what propfessors look for. TECHNICAL TERMS. if you want, make a side note of a topic, and list down their technical terms in order (like a flow chart). So just looking at the flowchart will trigger ur memory of the entire topic.
      for ex: Plant growth would be :
      - germination
      - seedling
      - vegetative
      - budding
      - flowering
      - ripening. (Excuse the amateurishness, not a med student).

      thats all. stay focused and passionate is all you need. everything else will fall into place! If youre doing what you love, you've already got a good start. If not, re-evaluate maybe....?

      Sorry for all the typos and grammar, im in a rush. Got an exam in 10 hours and im yet to start (but i'll manage ;) ). Also its 3:15 am here, my perfect study time.

      WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK! You know you can do it :) Even if you dont, at least think that you do ;)

      Delete